Thursday, January 25, 2007

Pining for The Fancy

One day, many years ago, I came across beautiful bedding while wandering around The Bon (now Macy's). I immediately fell in love with Calvin Klein's bedding line but could never fathom spending so much money for designer sheets. However, my pining for the CK never ceased. It has always been a want of mine. I've never had fancy bedding and for the past many years, my bedding has come from Ikea.

When it came time to register for wedding gifts, I put a CK set on our Macy's list - the full shebang: duvet cover, bedskirt, shams, throw pillow, sheets. The total amount of the full set came to an obscene amount (around $1k). It even went on sale. I kept my fingers crossed, but not a pillowcase was bought. My dreams were dashed. We did receive a new duvet, so I started hunting for reasonably priced bedding.

During moments of boredom, I would venture over to Macy's website to pine. Then, the set went on MegaSale: 50% to 75% off. And, we also received our annual bonus. I asked Mr. Kris if we could spend a portion of our bonus on new bedding and he said Yes! The CK was all mine. I sent him links to a couple of different sets to see if he favored one over the other but he didn't seem to care. Even though everything was on MegaSale, I couldn't bring myself to spend so much money to get the complete set. I purchased the duvet cover, a set of pillowcases and the bedskirt. I then hunted for a set of blue sheets to bring out the blue in the CK per Tony's request. I ended up buying the queen set of the bamboo sheets we received as a gift for our guest bed. Bamboo is lovely!

Here's the before picture of our plain, Ikea bedspread:

And here's the after picture:

Go to my Flickr gallery for more pictures.

Now I pine for new bedroom furniture. Ideally, I'd like to find the perfect pieces gently used and will have the time (ha!) to refinish them. We'll see if that ever happens. Here's the new stuff I'm pining for:



No comments: