Saturday, July 05, 2003

Damn did this week fly by. My family just left this morning and now it's time to get down to business and unpack. First, a recap of this past week:

- Last Saturday didn't go as planned. Spent most of the day packing and waiting for U-Haul to call me to tell me where to pick up the rental truck the next morning. I called them around 4:30pm and they said someone would call me by 7:00pm. By 6:45pm, I still hadn't heard from them so I gave them another call. After waiting on hold for 25 minutes, I was told that I would have to call back the next day at 9:00am because the office had already closed. This pissed me off greatly because I had put off having dinner with Doug to wait for this information and I was supposed to pick up my truck at 9:00am! Went out to dinner with Doug at the Spaghetti Factory. We said our goodbyes - I insisted that he go out with Lyssa and F because I would rather imagine myself hanging out with them instead of packing. Plus, having him there would have made everything harder emotionally. I got back home and started packing again. Ran out of boxes before I was done which totally sucked. Too tired at this point to go get more boxes, so I went to bed.

- Woke up at 9:00am on Sunday and called U-Haul. I was on hold for 30 minutes until someone picked up and put me back on hold. On hold for 5 minutes and then the phone started ringing and ringing and ringing. No one picked up, so I hung up. Called some local U-Haul places but they couldn't help me out. One place did give me the local number for the regional office (the place that tells you where to pick up your truck) and so I called that number. On hold for another 30 minutes. Finally talked to someone and got the location for me to pick up my truck. By this time, Adam was there to drop off his TV that I was buying from him and take me to get the truck (heh- he forgot the TV and had to go back later in the day). He was also a sweetheart and got me food and coffee. After eating, we head out to get the truck to find that my family has arrived. They went upstairs to wait for us to get back. Go to U-Haul to pick up the 10-ft truck and some more boxes. The truck is pretty old and running hard, but I figure that's typical and drive off. We get back to the apartment and everyone gets to work. Packing and cleaning ensues with the help of my dad, step mom, sister, cousin and Adam. It was pretty nuts. We didn't get finished and on the road until 7pm. This was not the plan. We were going to leave so much earlier, but I just couldn't get everything packed on time. Next time I make a move, I must take some time off from work to prepare. Everyone was such a big help and really helped my stress level. Granted, Dad & Carolyn were disappointed that we didn't head out until 7, but they didn't complain or make me feel guilty one bit. We drive up to Bakersfield and stay the night. We also discover that the U-Haul is horrible. Dad had to put 2 quarts of oil in the thing!

- Monday morning we get off to an early start. The truck is running a bit better this day, but Dad insists that he be the only one that drives it because it is so difficult to drive. The traffic isn't bad and we had no mountains to deal with. We drive all day with no incidents and stop in Yreka, California for the night. It's a little gold-mining town close to the CA/OR border. Quite charming.

- Tuesday is a short driving day, but not easy on Dad & Carolyn. By this time, we are driving through the Cascades in Oregon. Although the drive was rough, the scenery was breathtaking. Absolutely gorgeous. We stop in Portland mid-afternoon and spend time with Dad's longtime friend, Maggie. We went out to dinner with her family and had a nice, relaxing evening.

- Wednesday was a quick jaunt to Seattle. Traffic stayed moderate and we made it in by 12:30pm. Got to the apartment and met up with my new manager, Lance. He and his daughter were finishing some last-minute things on the apartment. Did a walk-through with him and then Dad, Carolyn, Leslie and I went to lunch at a lovely bakery/cafe in my neighborhood. I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't for Dad & Carolyn. We went back to the apartment and unloaded the truck in less than 2 hours. Much easier than packing it up! We literally had to throw everything in and leave to go find D&C a hotel and get cleaned up to have dinner with business friends of D&C. We ate at a seafood restaurant on Eastlake called Duke's. They were very good about my non-meat eating habits and even made sure I wasn't vegan. One of the reasons why I love Seattle :-) Dinner was lovely. Dropped D&C off at the hotel and Leslie and I came back and sorted through the boxes. My phone was meant to be turned on by now, but I still didn't have service. What's up with that? Anyway, found the sheets, made up the bed and went to sleep.

- Thursday, Leslie got up early and went to a tai-chi class in a park that wasn't too far away. I had to stick around for the cable service person to connect my internet. Since my phone still wasn't hooked up, Leslie planned on calling Qwest when she got to D&C's hotel room. I did a bit of unpacking while I waited. Leslie got back around 10:30am with news that there was a problem with my order but they would expedite my order and I would have service by 5pm that day. Cable guy comes at 11 and hooks me up. Sweet! At least I can now communicate to others somehow! After cable guy leaves at 11:30, we head out for lunch. After lunch, we go to my local used bookstore and peruse the selection. Great selection! I even have a comic book store and a couple of record stores within walking distance. I love my neighborhood. We go back to the apartment and plan to head over to the hotel to coordinate dropping off the U-Haul. D&C had lunch plans with a friend. They got back around 3:30pm and we take off to our destination. Unfortunately, they weren't really clear on the location and we got separated for a bit. They did make their way back and we got rid of the truck. We head out to Northgate for a Target shopping trip. I needed stuff like broom, mop, microwave, phone and then some. Spent a lot of money, but it's stuff I'll have for a long time. Filled up 2 baskets. We head back to town and grab some dinner. After dropping D&C off at the hotel, Leslie and I head to Capitol Hill for a quick trip to Payless Shoes and Fred Meyer. She picks up a couple of pair of cute sandals (I also got a pair) and I get a mirror and water filters. Head back home and unload my shopping booty. Find that I still do not have phone service. Another long day.

- Friday was a fun day. We got to sleep in! Got up and head over to the hotel to pick up D&C. We had to go to Mae's on Phinney Ridge for a yummy southern breakfast. I had biscuits and gravy! After brunch, we go to Seattle Center and visit the Space Needle. It was my first time. The views were great since the day was mostly clear. We were then going to go to the Experience Music Project, but only had an hour left which would not have given us enough time. We did walk through the inside and sat in the restaurant for a bit before heading out to the airport area. D&C were worn out from the long week and needed to rest. After we dropped them off, Leslie and I headed to Teresa's to see what she was up to this weekend since I could not call her. Fortunately, she was home and we made plans to make an Ikea trip on Sunday. We then head back to my place to drop off the car. Things were going to be crazy around my neighborhood that night since I live 4 blocks from Gasworks Park, where the big 4th celebration is based. We drop off the car and catch the bus to the International district. We walk about the I-district for a couple of hours, but most of the stores are closed for the holiday. We do get a bit of shopping in and Leslie finds a book that she has been searching for but could not find. We head back to Wallingford and have Indian food for dinner. After dinner, we go to the park for the fireworks display. It was pretty impressive. I can't believe the advances that have been made in fireworks! We head back to my place and go to bed so we can get up early the next day.

Well, that's the recap. Took Leslie to the airport this morning and now I must get to work on unpacking. Lots to do ahead of me. Today is the first overcast day since I've been here. It's lovely! I will upload some pictures later and post the link here, so check back. I would like to thank everyone again that has helped make this move possible. It would have been so difficult without you!!

No comments: